What Is a Domicile Certificate?
A domicile certificate serves as evidence of permanent residence of a State or Union Territory (UT) in India. It is compulsory for every citizen irrespective of community, caste, and sex.
A domicile certificate, also known as a State residence official certificate, is a permit to reside anywhere in the State or UT and aids in obtaining all the utilities provided by the Government. This certificate is issued by several Government officials, varying from one State/UT to another.
What Are the Purposes of a Domicile Certificate?
- It is necessary for legalized rights and liberty of the citizens.
- A domicile certificate is required while purchasing any property, such as a house or land.
- It is essential for the application of KYC documents, including an Aadhaar card, PAN card, and Voter card.
- Domicile certificate is crucial for students taking admission in schools and universities or other educational institutions.
- It is required for new vehicle registration.
- Individuals must produce a domicile certificate as residential address proof while applying for a loan.
- State proof of domicile certificates is crucial for establishing businesses.
- Domicile certificate is vital for the registration of medical practitioners.
West Bengal Domicile Certificate
A domicile or residence certificate is an important legal document that is used to prove the residency of the person residing in a particular state. In this article, we look at the procedure for obtaining a domicile certificate in the State of West Bengal.
The following are the eligibility criteria to obtain a domicile certificate from the West Bengal Government:
- Any person who is a resident of West Bengal.
- Women not initially belonging to the state, but married to a person who is a permanent resident of the state.
When applying for a domicile certificate, the following documents have to be submitted along with the application form.
- Residential proof of land or rented house (photocopy of land deed/rent receipt copy).
- Identity Proof (PAN card, Driving license, Voter card, Ration card, Passport).
- Birth Certificate.
- Passport-size size photograph.
Step 1: Login into the e-District website of the West Bengal Government.
Step 2: Click on the Local residence(Domicile Certificate) option.
Step 3: Then, the instructions and requirements of the Domicile certificate will be displayed. Please Select “apply”, as shown below.
Step 4: The application for a domicile certificate appears on the screen. Fill in the required details mentioned in the form.
Step 5: Attach the scanned documents and click on the save button to submit your application.
Note: Once the application has been submitted successfully, the applicant receives an acknowledgment number to view the status of the application.
Download Domicile Certificate
Follow the steps below to download the domicile certificate:
Step 1: Visit the website mentioned above to view the status of the application form.
Step 2: Click on the approved application on the home page.
Step 3: Select the service name from the list of approved applications.
Step 4: Click on a specific application by providing your acknowledgment number. Now, download the domicile certificate from the next page.
If the applicant does not receive the domicile certificate, then the applicant must visit the respective Tehsil office or Revenue Department office and apply it in person.
The applicant can apply for a domicile certificate without remitting any fee for it. The concerned authority will issue the domicile certificate within 7 working days from the date of application. A domicile certificate is valid for a lifetime and hence doesn’t prompt the need for renewal.
For more such updates visit https://zero2placement.com/